Thirteen Things You Might Not Know About Me, 1rst

by J. Lynne on July 19, 2007

in Cat Scratchings, Life, Memes, Photo Blogging, Pug Poop

Thursday Thirteen Banner
Thirteen Things about J. Lynne

1. I lived 23 of my 36 breathing years in New Orleans, but not consecutively; one period for 12 years and one for 11 years.
  2. Coincidentally the reason I moved to New Orleans in 1993 and the reason I moved away in 2004 were the same — unemployment; despite being told by my high school guidance counselor that computer science would bring great fortune and job security, I have yet to find that to be true after 15 years.
  3. Before anyone asks, no, I didn’t have any family left in New Orleans during Katrina; my parents had moved to New Mexico in 2002; I do still have a number of friends in the area. Everyone I know luckily survived, even if their belongings didn’t — two friends lived just blocks from the Canal Street levee break.
  4. Silhouettes Against the April SnowI currently live in Maine with two cats and a Pug in a red house. I couldn’t get a third cat because I’m single and you know that single women can’t have 3 cats or they become crazy old maids. So I have a Pug.
  5. When I moved to Maine, I drove up without an apartment rented and without knowing anyone but the people I’d interviewed with for my job. I stayed in hotels for a month with my two cats (didn’t have the Pug yet) while I looked for a decent, affordable apartment that a piano would fit in — it took at least 2 weeks for me to accept that up here no one needs central A/C so apartments just don’t have them.
  6. My current obsessive hobby of choice is photography. I am participating in Project365 — a world-wide phenomenon where amateur and professional photographers alike take at least one photo every day for a year. (View my Project365 as a slideshow.) Ironically I started out doing digital photography because I thought it would be a cheep hobby, but a new Canon PowerShot S3 IS, a bunch of printed photographs, picture frames, and a lot of books on photography later, and I can tell you that is a myth.
  7. Since January 1, 2007, I have taken over 1000 photographs and have posted 941 to Flickr; 189 of those photos appear to be of my Pug. According to Flickr’s mysterious rules of “Interestingness”, 16 of my photos have made it to Flickr’s infamous Explore; 10 of those are of my Pug and technically one was taken last year. (View my Flickr Explored Photos as a Slideshow.)
  8. Little Red House in Spring The reason that I needed to save money is because I bought a house in November, which is a really big commitment; I guess I’m staying in Maine. As it turns out, houses have a lot more unexpected expenses than apartments and you can’t just call the landlord and have things magically repaired while you are at work. It also turns out that the landscaping and garden fairies don’t come while you are at work either. However, for $25 a week, the lawnmower man will come once a week and make all the dandelions disappear from your yard.
  9. I have discovered that it is not easy to make new friends all over again in your mid-30’s if you move to somewhere you know no one and you don’t immediately click with your co-workers. By your 30’s you’ve pretty much defined your social circles and there’s really very little change until you hit retirement age, I think. I kind of think it’s easier if you relocate as a couple. Couples seem to find other couples to do things with, but by your mid-30’s everyone’s pretty much looking to become a couple or looking to find other couples to hang out with. Look at Friends, for example. Integrating outsiders never really worked out once they reached their 30’s and Monica and Chandler were always trying to find appropriate partners for the single “friends” so they could do couple things. In fact, they spent quite a bit of time just trying to find someone to pair off with to become a couple. Unfortunately, I haven’t found a ready-made group of friends for me in Maine yet.
  10. Morning Routine I have been diagnosed with chronic migraines, IgA Nephropathy (an autoimmune kidney disease), fibromyalgia, gastroparesis (a condition in which the stomach digestion is slowed), IBS, general anxiety disorder, and chronic depression. I probably also have some OCD in there.
  11. As a result of my medical problems, my doctors have put me on a strict pescetarian diet — no flesh of any animals other than fish or other types of seafood. I’m supposed to eat lots of soy products too. I was already eating 75% this way when the doctor told me no more red meat or chicken. As a result of being told I can’t have those things, naturally, I cheat on really rare occasions. To be honest, I don’t really like the smell or taste of meat most of the time anyway.
  12. I have been blogging in various places for over 6 years and have been “outed” several times by a health magazine, The New York Times, and Good Morning, America. I suspect I lost a job because I was blogging rather nasty things about my boss though using all fake names but I can’t prove it. It’s just a reminder that nothing is really anonymous or private in Cyberspace.
  13. Shy BlueWhile this is the closest I’ve come to using my real name on a blog, I still use aliases for my pets because some of them — Pugly — have become quite well-known by their online monikers and besides, you never know when some pet-o-phile will come across their photos and want to stalk them. They must be protected.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

{ 2 trackbacks }

Thursday 13 #4 at Vixen’s Den
July 19, 2007 at 3:40 pm
TT3: 13 of the Greatest Actresses « Secondhand Thoughts
July 20, 2007 at 7:49 pm

{ 14 comments }

Jeremy July 19, 2007 at 9:39 am

Sounds like you have been through a lot, but Maine sounds nice if you like the white rain. The one thing Zi am glad about employement is I work from home, so no office politics… happy tt

Eric July 19, 2007 at 12:11 pm

Pet-o-philes are a growing problem and should be looked into!

I love photography. I wish I could do that for a full year. But knowing me, I’d do it and then somehow or another forget on December 31st to take a photo and so I wouldn’t do it.

Thanks for your comment on my TT. Nice TT btw.

qtpies7 July 19, 2007 at 1:28 pm

My mom lives in Maine! She moved there when she was almost 50 and even though she did move as a couple, she has a hard time meeting friends. Her husband is a commercial fisherman, so she is alone a lot, plus raising his 2 grandkids. You can find her blog on my blog, Bring Your Own Cheese.
Also, a friend of mine has acute chronic migraines, too, along with other restrictive diet problems and turrettes. Her blog is on mine, too, movers4life.

Nice to meet you, and I love your pug!!!!
Thanks for visiting my blog about my horrible experience at the dentist! I should have mentioned in there that although I was traumatized, it was a good thing that it happened that way or I would never get my teeth fixed.

Vixen July 19, 2007 at 3:23 pm

Number 13 cracked me up. I just realized that altho, after much consideration and consultation, I gave all the people in my life “super secret internet identities” – I haven’t any for all my doggies…Now I have something to do tonight!

My TT link is http://vixen.herhangout.com/2007/07/18/thursday-13-4/
and I am still giggling about that comment on mine also

Robin July 19, 2007 at 4:14 pm

I visited Moosehead Lake in Maine a few years ago. It’s really beautiful up there. I hope you’re soon able to find your niche. Maybe there’s a local photography club you could join? Or take a continuing ed class to meet people with similar interests?

Ed July 19, 2007 at 5:51 pm

Get a third cat. Blow the cliches away. Wish you well

Karen (Miscellaneous Mum) July 19, 2007 at 6:46 pm

Wow – I’m curious though, which part of the diet was tailored specifically for the migraines? (If any) I suffer from them occasionally and hear dietary factors can help/hinder them

byoc July 19, 2007 at 7:22 pm

Welcome to Maine – how long have you been here? I moved here about 5 years ago – Central Maine. I have one cate and one dog – but they are pretty spectacular. I also love to take photos – but just for fun. Thanks for visiting my tt about the wallpaper.

hazel July 19, 2007 at 7:53 pm

It is hard to move and start over, especially once you get a little older (don’t mean you are old!). I admire your sense of adventure! That’s fantastic.

Amy the Black July 20, 2007 at 9:51 am

Beautiful place! I’m with you on the finding friends problem, and I am married! So I don’t think it’s all a couple/not-a-couple thing. And I simpathize with you on the migranes. I started having them after my first child was born and now I have to just deal with them. Nice TT!

J. Lynne July 20, 2007 at 12:38 pm

Karen – I was <i>supposed</i> to eliminate aspartame from my diet and reduce the amount of caffeine I intake. I have found it difficult to eliminate the aspartame because it’s difficult to get Pepsi One or Coke Zero anywhere but the grocery store (and sometimes I can’t find it there). I have cut way back on the caffeine though. Plus, it turns out chicken and beef are pro-inflammatory meats so cutting them out helps not just with the fibromyalgia but with the migraines.

Unfortunately, I’m not allowed to take aleeve, asprin or ibuprofen because of my kidneys so I really should behave myself on the doctor’s diet.

Janet August 14, 2007 at 3:02 pm

OMG Pugly is absolutely ADORABLE!!! Where in Maine are you so I can come stalk him!

J. Lynne August 14, 2007 at 3:34 pm

Pugly makes regular appearances under his non-Internet name at Pug Night on the Eastern Prom Wednesdays when it isn’t rainy. He doesn’t do rainy. :P

Sunny Beach Hotels January 14, 2009 at 8:40 am

Cool pics. And, also thanks for sharing some of your experiences in your life.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: Puppy Bong