Thirteen Ways To Lose A Pound A Week, 11th

by J. Lynne on September 27, 2007

in Health, Losin' It, Memes

In honor of the first week-aversary of starting my new “diet” – er – weight loss plan -er – healthy eating lifestyle or whatever the politically correct term is this year and in memory of the one pound I lost and hopefully will never find again, I’ve decided to do this week’s Thursday Thirteen on ways to shed a pound a week.

Many of you don’t know this but in another alias, I used to be a weight loss guru; so while I may have put on a few pounds, I actually do know what I’m talking about and I do know how to misplace the unwanted weight. I dedicated plenty of time and money educating myself on the very intricate details and the practical knowledge of it all. Listen to me, my friends, and I will show you the way. 8)

First thing you should know is that a pound is the equivalent of 3500 calories; so you just have to cut 500 calories a day to lose a pound a week. Medical professionals recommend that you lose no more than ½ to 2 pounds a week for a healthy weight loss program. Any quicker than that and you risk doing damage to important body things you might want later.

Thursday Thirteen Banner
Thirteen Things about J. Lynne

1. Take a brisk 30 minute walk every day. Do it with your family, a friend, your dog or just take the time to Zen out with yourself. With the trees just now turning colors, now is a great time to start this new habit too!
  2. Park on Mars. Park as far away in the parking lot as you can from where ever you’re going. I know my dad thinks it’s a great accomplishment that he can always find a spot right up front, but parking at the back of the lot and walking the half-mile to the Super WAL-Mart is just extra exercise and bonus calories burned. (Note: I do not recommend this for women alone at night.)
  3. Replace the mayonnaise on your sandwiches with mustard. This gives them a nice flavorful zing too! If you only knew how they made mayonnaise and what was in it…
  4. Trade that nightly bowl of ice cream for a fancy flavored low-fat yogurt. I like the pie-flavored ones best myself. Mmmmm…Key Lime or Strawberry Cheesecake!
  5. Low-Fat ≠ Low-Calorie. Read the labels on food products carefully. Usually in order to make low-fat products taste good, more sugar has to be added, which means higher-calories. It’s a delicate balancing act. If you want low-fat, low-calorie, look for products with sugar substitutes or similar, but even those give up something in the production. In the end, you have to decide what you are willing to give up.
  6. Don’t drink your calories. That means, stick to good old H2O, sugar-free soda (aspartame-free is best too), and unsweetened teas and coffee. Rather than drink fruit juice, eat an apple or an orange because you’ll burn more calories in the chewing process.
  7. Portion control is key! Most of us have been brainwashed by the Supersize-me advertising into thinking that more is better, but more is more waist and hips and thighs. We’ve forgotten than the kiddie meal sizes were once upon a time the actual recommended size for an adult. From now on, remember: 3 oz. of meat is the size of a deck of cards or an audio tape; 1 oz. of meat is the size of a matchbook; 1 cup of potatoes, rice or pasta looks like a tennis ball.
  8. Eat more often. I find that I need a small snack about 3:30 or 4pm and also something small after dinner around 8pm. Usually this is nuts, fruit, cheese, and/or yogurt or something similar. This means, I have 3 portion-controlled meals and 2 snacks a day. Some people would call this “5 mini-meals”. Whatever you call it. Plan to eat small but often. You’ll eat less overall.
  9. Fruits & veggies are your friends. Eat at least two servings of a fruit or vegetable at every meal. Your plate at lunch and/or dinner should be at least half veggies and/or fruit.
  10. Pick whole grains. You’ve been hearing it for years: processed foods are bad. It’s true. At the very least, your body burns more calories digesting whole grains than processed grains. That’s why I only buy whole wheat pastas and whole wheat breads (when I allow bread in my house ;) ). When I eat out, I always ask if they have brown rice or if whole wheat pasta is an option. My favorite burrito places know to give me whole wheat tortillas. Every little bit helps.
  11. Take home the trophy box. That’s what my old Weight Watchers’ Leader used to say about eating out in restaurants. Most restaurant entreés are 1,000 to 2,000 calories easily. As soon as you get your food, automatically ask for a take-home box to put half of your meal in. It’ll be just as good warmed up tomorrow and you’ll feel less guilty about it.
  12. Eat less Take-out. The fact is that the only sure-fire way to know what goes into your food is for you to prepare it yourself. Eat at home more often; pack your lunch more often. Save restaurant dining for special occasions like showing off your new waistline!
  13. Keep a food journal. Studies have shown that “dieters” who journaled tended to be more successful in the long run. It must be that element of having to honestly commit it to paper, even if the only one who sees it is you. I certainly found that even if I wasn’t following a strict eating plan, the weeks that I wrote down everything I ate, I lost weight or maintained.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

{ 2 trackbacks }

Park on Mars » Rookie Moms
September 27, 2007 at 3:13 pm
MInTheGap Fiction » Blog Archive » Thirteen Things You Didn’t Know About Adam Schofield
September 28, 2007 at 1:21 pm

{ 20 comments }

zoe September 27, 2007 at 10:04 am

Good list, need reminding of some of these, sometimes.

My Twenty Cents Keeps Moving September 27, 2007 at 10:08 am

Sounds reasonable to me! Now if I could just do it…

~Leslie

Leeann September 27, 2007 at 10:25 am

It sounds great! I do this (all of the actually!) and you are right…about a pound a week! (sometimes more!)

ellen b September 27, 2007 at 10:45 am

Great tips. Hubby and I are into week two trying to shed some unwanted pounds. At Mexican restaurants I count out 6 chips and set them in front of me to have with the salsa. I also double dip a lot with those 6 chips! 6chips no more, no less :)

J. Lynne September 27, 2007 at 10:56 am

Ellen — that’s great! Excellent willpower! I remember once my mom told me that my father bragged to his friend that I counted out my chips from the bag and put the bag away. I think he was just in shock because most of my friends in college thought his hand was surgically attached to the chip bag. :P

MInTheGap September 27, 2007 at 10:56 am

Those are some great tips– thanks for sharing. I think that a lot of it is in portion control!

My TT is up!

Cecile September 27, 2007 at 11:02 am

Love the tips. Most of them are common sense, but I definitely need to be reminded every now and again!

damozel September 27, 2007 at 11:43 am

It’s such a great list and the advice about not going for the instant results is particularly key.

thanks!

buttercup September 27, 2007 at 11:54 am

I completed my own “diet” healthy eating kick, etc., a few weeks ago with mixed results. Everything you say is right on. We know it all intellectually but it’s hard to put it in to practice. The biggest obstacles for me are (a) not emotionally eating and (b) when I emotionally eat, finding the most healthy substitue to satiate my craving. I need some ideas for yummy, creamy, chocolaty snacks that won’t rip my healthy eating habits to shreds. Ideas?

Amy September 27, 2007 at 11:56 am

These are great!

Pretty much how I live my life now. I strive to lose 1.5lbs per week and I just had to make all these simple changes.

At night for my dessert I like to have cereal :P

Vixen September 27, 2007 at 12:14 pm

Ooh, ooh I started doing 1,2,3 six months ago and it has been fabulous. I have never been a dessert person at all, but I just did start doing #10 a week or so ago! Happy TT, great list.

Krista September 27, 2007 at 12:40 pm

Great list! Gonna bookmark this for after I have the baby. Will need all the tips I can get I am sure! :)

pussreboots September 27, 2007 at 2:09 pm

I’m okay with the eating I just need to exercise more.

Happy TT and thanks for stopping by. “Fonding Your Muse” isn’t as dirty as it sounds. If it had been dirty maybe it would have at least been funny.

Robin September 27, 2007 at 2:26 pm

Excellent reminders. Portion control and truly awful choices are what get me. I have the self-control of a gnat. (Assuming of course that gnats have no self-control. Maybe they do. Who knows.)

David September 27, 2007 at 5:44 pm

Great list. I lost 50# doing #1. My Wonder Woman needed a bit more help than just that with her effort, though, and many of the rest of your list was hers for quite some time. Maintenance (and losing a tad more) for me uses most of your list, though.

Nicholas September 27, 2007 at 7:28 pm

Great list! Of course, self control is the vital ingredient in so many of them.

MamaArcher September 28, 2007 at 11:40 am

Number 12 is great!! I will have to start doing that!

I only wish I could make water taste good somehow!

J. Lynne September 28, 2007 at 12:48 pm

Buttercup – I’m not really a big chocolate eater. I prefer my chocolate in small doses and usually want it to be worth it. So, if I’m going to have it, I buy a really excellent, expensive chocolate candy, but only a small one — I prefer European milk or white — and have a treat and I make a big production of having it too so I can savor it. My WW Leader always said that it’s only the first and last bite that count so that’s all you need with dessert. ;)

As for creamy chocolate goodness, I have to say, that I’m really happy with the Jell-O SF chocolate pudding cups. They’re already pre-portioned and I like their rich texture. They’re just right for that.

I hope that helps. It’s like Nicholas said, self-control is vital. I think if you make a big production of the treat and make it special, then it becomes part of a ritual and less of a binge.

Ruff Diamond September 30, 2007 at 1:49 am

Very interesting. I’ll have to start putting those tips into practice, and then I’ll get back to my ideal weight. Happy T 13!

GPower September 10, 2008 at 6:37 am

I just loved reading that because there is no nonsense. Thanks for all those tips.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: Oil Of You